Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thats right, I speak baby.

I had one of the most satisfying experiences this week.  It involved speaking baby.

I know that I can meet the needs of the kids but people are constantly still talking about the special bond that mothers have with their baby's, which is true don't get me wrong; but often its stated in a way that implies that dads just can't do this.  Not so.

I was cooking dinner and paying attention to the pots on the stove, Boo Boo was watching Jack-Jack for me.  She came into the room and said he was fussing and didn't know what was wrong with him.  I didn't even need to turn around to look at him to know that the whimpers he was making were his "my diaper is poopy" whimpers.  Sure enough, diaper at poo poo capacity.

Big deal, yeah it kind of was.  It was about love and connection, listening.  For me it was an actual manifestation of the bond between parent and child.  When you can communicate with your baby it just feels good.  It says I hear you, I will spend the time to understand you, and I will be there when you need me.  It reinforced that connection and made me love him even more, if that was possible

It made me think about the other kids, not just baby speak.  We have just moved and really not much can be more stressful for kids that all the adjustments that come with that.  Do I speak pre-schooler, grade school, middle school, and high school?  I pray that I will be able to recognize what they need as well as I can understand the difference between hungry, sleepy, poopy cries. 

So for all my kiddos I promise I will try to hear you , I will spend the time to understand you, and I will be there when you need me. 

However, if I get a poopy cry from one you older kids...your on your own.
Clean diapers are the best!

Dad, can I be done watching the kids now?

No comments:

Post a Comment